Join Mary for an Impromptu May Day Wildflower Walk
Weather for Sunday May 1st promises to be sunny and heading into the 70º's! Let's meet up at 10AM for a nature walk at Camillus Unique Area.
We will do a leisurely loop-hike covering a little over 2 miles, on our walk through open fields to look for the spring ephemerals in a 40 acre sylvan sanctuary of centuries old hardwoods in an old growth forest.
The forest is magnificent and if we are lucky we may be treated to a thick carpet of herbs and fragile woodland ephemerals. Also, the forest is on a high point with spectacular views of distant places, including Onondaga Lake six miles east, and downtown Syracuse eight miles southeast.
Meet at the parking lot promptly at 10AM.
Use this address for navigation: 6185 Thompson Rd. Camillus NY 13031
At 10:15am we will begin our walk to the forest.
This event is restricted to vaccinated members.
Description of Trail: gradual inclines heading to forest gradual declines heading back expect it to be wet in spots : 2 miles total (about 1 mile out and 1 mile back)
- A Mask - may be needed depending on current conditions.
- Water and a snack
- Tick protection is advised (long sleeves, pants tucked into socks, repellent, etc.)
- Dress appropriately for the weather including proper footwear, hat/sun glasses, sun protection.
- Bring hiking poles if desired as the trails have gradual elevation changes and may be wet in spots.
- There are no rest room facilities in the immediate area so please plan accordingly.
- Spring wildflower enthusiasts might want to bring a camera!
Dogs are welcome if they are accompanying well-behaved humans on leash.
Directions: From Syracuse, NY take I-690 WEST to NY 695 South to NY 5 WEST. Take the NY 173 "Warners" EXIT. Turn left on NY 173 and go through the small village of Amboy. Turn left on Thompson Road (look for Erie Canal Towpath signs). The DEC parking area is on the right where we will meet at 10am. (For GPS address: plug in 6185 Thompson Rd, Camillus NY 13031)
Are you vaccinated? Please confirm that you are vaccinated when you register.
The automatic confirmation email is the only email you will receive about this event. Be sure and save it or print it out.
COVID rules are evolving:
- Some events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- Attendance may be limited
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Masks and Physical Distancing: Attendees must mask indoors (including in vehicles) and maintain 6 feet social distancing outdoors.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator