Join Mary for this event
We will join members of the Central New York Mycological Society at this FREE and PUBLIC EVENT for this afternoon program on wild mushrooms at the Beaver Lake Nature Center. Come learn about edible and poisonous mushrooms, as well as their important role in the forest ecosystem as parasites, pathogens, and decomposers.
Guided hikes through Beaver Lake's woodlands in search of various species of mushrooms are scheduled for 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm.
(NOTE: Each guided walk will be limited to the first 25 registrants: first-come, first- served. So for those interested in these naturalist guided hikes, we will MEET at 10:45AM at the Herb Garden in front of the Visitor Center for a chance to sign-up).
At 11:00 AM, after sign-up session, we will go out as a group and walk some trails starting at the Herb Garden in front of the Visitors Center, then onto the Pine Meadow (.5 mi) Trail and the Woodland (1.1 mi) Trail finishing up before the noon start time of the Festival. Trails are well marked and mostly flat but could be muddy in spots.
Starting at NOON there will be tables with identified mushrooms on display and experts will be available to identify mushrooms brought in. There will be free mushroom food and mushroom related items and books for sale.
- We will MEET at the Herb Garden in front of the Visitors Center @
- 10:45AM If you want to try to get a spot on an afternoon guided walk
- 11:00AM If you want to walk on some trails with us
- 12:00 NOON If you just want to say hi and then explore the Festival offerings.
- NOTE: There is a $5 admission per vehicle which is paid when leaving the park.
Also note that the Nature Center can be busy and the parking lots nearest the Visitors Center fill up fast. The overflow lots are a few minutes walk to the Center so plan your arrival times accordingly.
What to bring
Good hiking shoes with traction , dress for the weather and with tick prevention in mind, mask (for indoors or when 6 ft physical distancing can not be maintained), water, snacks, a camera, probably see some birds.
Important to know - Some additional info on the Park
- Trails open 7:30am to 5:00pm
- **Gate is locked at 5:00pm**
- 8:00am – 4:45pm
- $5 exit fee per vehicle
***Please Note*** Dogs are not allowed at Beaver Lake Nature Center. In addition, bikes are not allowed on the trails.
Are you vaccinated? Please let us know when you register. Based on that response, we can tailor appropriate CDC safety protocols for this meeting.
Address will be in your registration confirmation email.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted these updated rules for all events.
- We encourage all of our members get one of the COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance limits and vaccine requirements may differ for each event. Please read the restrictions in the event description.
- We will ask if you have been vaccinated. This information will help us determine rules for a particular event.
- Physical Distancing and Masks: If all attendees agree, the group may elect to dispense with keeping a 6 feet distance and wearing a mask.
- Indoor events are restricted to public events, and we will follow the rules of the hosting organization.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator