Join Stacy for a map & compass hike
We will go on an orienteering course laid out by the Central New York Orienteering Club. We'll decide how far we choose to keep going. Trails in this park can be steep and muddy.
Our hike will part of the orienteering club's annual "Turkey-O" event, but this year we'll have our own time slot to ourselves, without other orienteers. We do not have to pay the park's usual $3 trail use fee.
Registration: In addition to registering here, please ALSO register with the orienteering club. The online form has several steps; please keep going all the way to "Save Signed Waiver" on the fifth screen, which is the part they really need. Most fields are required, but "Club" and "National Affiliation" can be left blank unless you happen to belong to an orienteering club. On the screen for courses, pick both Course B and Course A. For team name, pick Women Outdoors.
In case the registration form proves too onerous, they offer a PDF waiver as an alternative, which can be emailed.
Bring: 2 maps which you can print from a link I will send you, in a clear plastic sheet protector or ziplock bag. Clothing and footwear to keep you warm & dry. Hiking poles if you use them. Face mask, hand sanitizer, snack and drink.
Comfort update: Skyline Lodge is closed. Bathrooms are open in the community building, so I'll make sure our walk passes by there.
Note: The park is on Route 80 east of Fabius, southeast of Syracuse. Exact location, directions, and where to meet will be sent to attendees.
CNL Mercantile, on the eastern edge of the village of Fabius, is a nearby place to stop for really good soup or coffee.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance is limited, but for this event, additional times may be added if interest warrants.
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet between hikers.
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail at the discretion of the trip leader.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator