Join Anna for this leisurely but steep hike
The hike will most likely take 3-3:30 hrs.
We will do the rim and gorge trail loop. This is a 4.3-mile loop with an 820 feet elevation. We will ascend on the rim trail and descend via the gorge trail.
Some of the highlights along the way include: A winding trail through Enfield Glen allows visitors to experience 12 waterfalls, including the 115 foot Lucifer Falls, as Enfield Creek cascades toward the Cayuga Inlet. Considered a moderate hike due to several impressive sets of stone staircases and an elevation change of over 500 feet. The Lucifer Falls Overlook features a spectacular view of Enfield Creek cascading 115 feet down the gorge. Other viewpoints allow visitors to look nearly a mile-and-a-half toward the lower gorge.
There are a lot of up and downs on this moderate hike, including some very steep sections (especially the Cliffside Stairs on the Rim Trail). Because of my current health conditions, I will be walking at a slow pace and stopping as often as necessary to admire the views and rest.
We might consider eating lunch once we reach the top before descending.
Please bring: MASK, snack/lunch, water, poles, good hiking shoes and proper clothing for the current weather conditions.
Note: There is an entrance fee of $8 per vehicle.
Bathrooms: are open in the park, at the Old Mill at the top, and in the office at the bottom. You can also find a bathroom in Ithaca at Tops, Walmart, or possibly any of the fast-food places in the same general area, about 4 miles before the park.
This is posted on the Parks website: All trails are open at this time. Gorge and Rim Trail are available in one direction only, Ascend on Rim Trail, Descend on Gorge Trail. Please have a mask with you while hiking as the trails are narrow and crowded. Failure to have a mask with you may result in ejection from park. Water access from these trails is dangerous, illegal and prohibited.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance is limited to 8 attendees
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet distance
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail, water, etc. at the discretion of the trip leader.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator