Friday Afternoon Paddle on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal from Seneca Falls
This afternoon I went for a paddle on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal, leaving from the rec center in Seneca Falls. I saw an Osprey and Great Blue Heron, along with the requisite ducks. The water flow is very gentle, and the vegetation blocks most of the views of the road on the North. On the south shore for a ways is the Sculpture trail.
As part of NY Staycation, a local outfit is offering free rentals. There were only a couple left when I called, and these are actually fishing kayaks, similar to sit-upon, but very stable. I have reserved them, but will need to release them if not wanted.
We'll launch from the parking lot of the recreation center. Bring your own, or email Sandy directly, firstname.lastname@example.org, to reserve one of the freebies. There is a porta-potty (hopefully open), and it looks like the rec center will also be open.
Be ready to launch at 2 pm. Estimated paddle time is 2-3 hours. We will start out paddling west towards Geneva, and then turn around when we feel like it. For those more adventurous, continue east towards Van Cleeef Lake, before returning to the put-in.
Bring: a face mask for when we are close together.
A MUST - kayak/canoe, paddle, LIFE JACKET (if not renting), water shoes, hat, sun screen, bug spray, snacks for yourself, and plenty of water to drink.
Other things to bring: whistle, clothes that can get wet (not cotton), change of clothes, towel, etc. Don't carry anything that can't get wet unless it is in a waterproof container. Optional: a band to secure your glasses or sunglasses, binoculars, and a waterproof camera.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance for this event is limited to 6 attendees.
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet between kayaks.
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail, water, etc. But please keep it with you and handy to put on as needed.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator