Join Jeanie for a couple of hikes on Labor Day
Both of these hikes are located in Geneseo. These will be gentle, rambling walks, each taking about 45 minutes.
John Chanler Island Nature Preserve
This 40 acre nature preserve consists of an 'island' of forest surrounded by grassland fields. Previously under agricultural use, the property now hosts native grasses that serve as a habitat for birds and other wildlife surrounding the 3.5 acre woodlot. We will be walking through an open meadow.
Indian Fort Nature Preserve
This 60 acre forest set adjacent to the Genesee River has a rich habitat and even richer history. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, this unique property earned the nickname “Indian Fort” as it was once home to two wooden fence structures, or palisades, built by the Onon:dowa'ga:'
We will be walking on a wooded trail that descends gradually down to the Genesee River. There is a steady uphill climb about 1/8 mile back to the starting point.
More info at: https://www.geneseevalleyconservancy.org/
We will meet at Jeanie's home in Geneseo (address when you RSVP) and then walk to the Charter Preserve. After returning, we will drive 3 miles south to the Indian Fort Preserve.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance is limited to 4 attendees
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet distance
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail, water, etc. at the discretion of the trip leader.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator