Please see important COVID-19 rules and Cancellation information below
About this Hike
We will be going out for a 3 mile, two hour, mostly easy hike in Cinnamon Lake State Forest, located approximately an hour from Ithaca or Waterloo, half-hour from Watkins Glen or Corning, and almost 2 hours from Rochester or Syracuse. See Cinnamon Lake State Forest on map (meeting location sent directly to registrants)
We'll have quite a lot of variety in these 3 short miles
- Start on an old road, closed to vehicle traffic, where we'll visit an old house foundation and a rather unusual find before the road is interrupted by a man-made pond. On previous visits I have seen a variety of wildlife here.
- Skirting the pond using a trail that passes through foundations of another old homestead, rejoining the old road and continuing toward Cinnamon Lake (tree cover at this time of year will prevent us from seeing it).
- Then onto a path through the forest, and a single-track woods trail through former farm land.
- Our return loop will include a half-mile walk on a dirt road, and a visit to another old foundation and walk on an old farm lane back to our cars.
Expect: Bugs, mud, weeds, heat, rain, cold. No facilities. Travel on dirt road. No cell reception. Adventure.
Bring: Hiking footwear, water, snacks, bug spray, sunscreen, hiking poles
Note: Exact location, directions, and where to meet will be sent to registrants.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance is limited to 4 attendees for hikes, and 6 attendees for paddle and bike events (may be fewer at the discretion of the trip leader).
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet between hikers
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail if you maintain social distancing.
*** Cancellations ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator