Camping at Lake Durant in the Central Adirondacks
Join me at this small campground on a scenic lake just outside of Blue Mountain Lake. Lake Durant is one of my favorite campgrounds and I have a lake side campsite! Registration is limited to 4 women (who must be Women Outdoor members since this is an overnight event).
Fall is a great time to car camp in the Adirondacks. The bugs (and noisy crowds of people) are usually gone, the days not too hot, and the nights great for sleeping. You can pull your car up to the campsite and unload your big heavy sleeping bag and your bulky warm clothes and not need to worry about fitting them in a backpack.
I'll be doing some hikes in the area, and maybe paddling. You will be welcome to join in or arrange your own activities - maybe you just want to make a fire and sit and read!
We'll plan our own meals and eat together when our schedules mesh
- Many nearby hiking opportunities, ranging from super easy (Buttermilk Falls) to pretty difficult (hike up Blue Mountain).
- Paddling on Lake Durant or Blue Mountain Lake.
- Visit the Adirondacks Museum - enough to keep you busy all day.
- Adirondack Lakes Center for the Arts.
- Limited dining options in Blue Mountain Lake, nearest alternative options about 10 miles away.
Things I will be bringing
- My large cabin tent with space for all of us. Tall and big.
- Cooking stove
Things you will bring
- Warm clothes
- Rain gear
- Sleeping pad, bag (I can help with these)
- Cot - if you want
- Your food for the weekend
- Canoe, bike, hiking gear - depending on what you want to do for the weekend
- Camp chair
COST: $20, WOMEN OUTDOORS MEMBER’S ONLY. If you are not currently a member you can Join Us Now
Location Update the starting point of this map to get directions. Make sure to determine your route in advance and print directions - cell service can be spotty in the mountains and GPS can lead you astray. Syracuse to Lake Durant
Finding Us You'll get site and check-in information after registering.
Cancellation If you commit now and later find that you are unable to attend, you will receive a refund if we can find someone to replace you.
If you must cancel at the last minute, text the event host/trip leader (let her know who it is who is calling/texting). Contact information is included in your registration confirmation. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location